When it comes to managing HR issues, prevention is much more effective than trying to cure existing problems. This holds particular importance in Manufacturing, where technology and employment needs are constantly evolving.
Review the industry’s most prominent HR challenges below, and save yourself precious time by avoiding disputes and employment tribunal claims.
Top 5 HR Challenges in Manufacturing
Assess how your business is shaping up with the key questions provided for each HR challenge.
Recruitment and Retention
- Have all relevant staff been trained on the recruitment process?
- Are you investing enough resources into retention? (e.g. technology, upskilling)
• UK vacancies reached record high of 1.3m between Jan-Mar 2022
• Quarter of UK workers intend to seek new role in next 6-12 months
• Consider internal mobility for ageing workers
• Keep notes on recruitment decisions to clearly demonstrate fair reasons for rejection
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Do you have an equal opportunities policy?
- Are you gathering data on diversity and inclusion?
- Do you offer sufficient training on discrimination awareness?
• There is no limit on compensation awards for discrimination claims
• In the event of a claim, the employer’s efforts to prevent discrimination are placed under the microscope
See Gehlen vs Allay Ltd.
• Conduct a thorough review of your equal opportunities policy
- Do you give equal importance to physical and mental health?
- Has this importance been communicated to your managers?
• Leads to presenteeism, poor productivity, and increased absence
• May result in disability discrimination claims if not handled correctly (Equality Act 2010)
• Foster a culture where people can talk about mental health and seek help where needed
- Do you set performance objectives for all employees?
- Are these objectives aligned with your organisational aims?
• If action is taken, it can lead to unfair dismissal claims
• Maximum compensation award for unfair dismissal is £93,878 or 52 weeks’ pay
• Set relevant aims and objectives for performance review
• Avoid making ‘knee jerk’ decisions which sidestep formal review procedures
Policies and Documents
- When did you last review your HR policies?
- Do you issue contracts of employment to all employees?
• Consider policies for ‘Living with Covid-19’ and ‘Long Covid’
• Employment contracts are a statutory requirement, also helping to prevent disputes
• Consider policy implications during any organisational change
• Contact us for a full review of your existing HR documentation, or for advice on a policy you don’t currently have
Call our HR and employment law team today on 0345 076 2288 or complete the form below.