Preparing for the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

When: May 2018​

Over 2017 employers will need to ensure that the personal data of employees that they collect and store adheres to GDPR conditions on consent. GDPR will come into effect 

before the UK’s official exit from the EU, employers who are not compliant come May 2018 could be fined up to 20 Million Euros or 20% of turnover.

The main change employers will need to make is to their policies and processes on privacy notices, data breach responses and subject access request. If you are currently a client of Abbey HR and subscribe to our CybHR retainer services, these changes will be made for you.

Employing Foreign Workers

When: April 2017

Sponsoring foreign workers for a tier two visa will become more expensive in 2017.

In addition to the regular costs, employers will now be required to pay an additional fee of £1,000 per worker deemed an immigration skills charge. Small businesses and charities will be required to pay £364 per worker.

In April 2017, experienced workers who apply for a tier two visa will be entitled to a minimum salary threshold of £30,000.   

National minimum wage changes

When: April 2017

National living wage for staff aged 25 plus will rise to £7.50 per hour. 

Gender Pay Gap Reporting

When: April 2018

2017 will be the year where data for the first report in April 2018 is published. Data will be needed from as early as 2016.

Employers with 250 plus employees will be required to publish gender pay gap information.

Early 2017 – The Equality Act 2010 Regulations (Gender Pay Gap Reporting) for private and voluntary sector employers come into force.

6th April 2017 – Begin to carry out calculations to configure gender pay gap.

4th April 2018 – Publish the results.

If anything seems amiss after the reporting process, use the results as a starting point to make a positive change within your organisations. If you need any help or support in reporting this information then please call our team.

Apprenticeship Levy

When: April 2017

If your annual payroll is more than £3m then starting 6th April 2017 you will need to pay a 0.5% levy.

Large employers will have access to levied amounts and a 10% increase to fund apprenticeships from approved providers.

Those smaller organisations that are not required to pay the levy will also have access to the funding. Smaller employers will be required to contribute 10% towards the cost of the apprenticeship and the government will fund the remaining 90%.

A note from AHR Consultants 

Every year there are a number of changes to Employment Law. The size of these changes can range from small to large; however they will all have an impact.

Please feel free to contact AHR Consultants if you require advice on any changes to Employment Law if you have an employee issue. We are here to help and will provide you with a five star service.

Subscribe to our regular updates or call us on 0345 076 2288 to speak to a HR consultant today.

Qian Mou (Dec 2016)
Personnel Today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.