The Health and Safety Executive reports thousands of deaths per year in the UK due to the effects of asbestos. In most cases, this is likely to be due to individuals unknowingly coming into contact with the material, potentially over an extensive period of time. This statistic alone highlights the striking importance of asbestos awareness, with training recommended to ensure that those who may be exposed to it can do their jobs safely.
This half course helps delegates to understand where asbestos may be located within their premises, allowing them to take steps towards fulfilling their legal requirement for managing it. During the session, we outline the various types of asbestos that are currently in use and explore how they can lead to serious health conditions, such as Mesothelioma.
We also cover the various asbestos surveys that delegates may be required to complete, with guidance provided on how to do this depending on the specific role that they hold. By doing this, we highlight the need to produce an asbestos register, which helps to ensure that the risk of exposure is managed correctly.
- Understand the types of asbestos that exist and how they may be present in materials
- Be aware of the health effects of immediate and prolonged exposure to asbestos
- Be able to recognise the areas where asbestos may be present within a building
- Understand the role held by an employer in managing asbestos, in line with legislation
- Become confident with the steps involved in creating an asbestos survey and register
Who will benefit?
- Duty-holders within a business or those responsible for building safety
- Employers or building owners who are unsure whether asbestos is present on their premises
- What is asbestos and where can it be found?
- What types of asbestos exist and how can they cause health issues?
- The process of managing asbestos
- Legislation surrounding asbestos
- The need for an asbestos survey, register, and management plan
Dates and location
Due to the nature of this course it is most effective when delivered in-house. Contact us for more information.
In-house training costs on application.